Mango’s Monday Obsession: How to Fake A Well Rested Look
Running on low energy? Late nights leave you looking like you can’t open your eyes?
Perk up instantly with these tricks!
- White Eye Pencil: Don’t underestimate the power of that white pencil. Simply placing white at the inner corner of your eye is the fastest, easiest way to look rested. Apply the white eye pencil/cream directly to the rim, both on the top and the bottom of the inner lids. Smudge the line with your finger or a concealer brush to make the effect more natural. Our pick is Aveda’s Ilumination shadow, mixed with the Eye Shadow Transformer.
Batty Lashes: A lash curler will work wonders to open up your peepers. Just a few quick squeezes, followed by some swipes of mascara.
- Eye Shadow Illumination: Using white or cream colored eye shadow will quickly give your eyes a boost. If you know you look tired, skip the dark eyes & dark liner. Apply the shadow to the high arch below the eyebrow, down to the inner eye lid, and underneath the inner eye lid. You can also dab a brush full in the center of your eye lid, directly above your iris. This opens your eye, making it appear larger and more awake. Again, our pick is Aveda’s Illumination Shadow!
- Skip the Super Light Concealor: Don’t be fooled into thinking that you need light concealer to hide dark circles. It only highlights the area more, landing you with the reverse raccoon effect. Instead of piling on concealer (which easily gets cake-y when you use too much), start with a light layer of foundation to even everything out. Then your baby finger (uses the least amount of pressure) to lightly pat on some creamy concealer.
Short of actually getting more sleep, these little tricks will have everyone believing you lounge like a goddess… for at least 8 hours every night!
Brush Lesson: Are You Using The Right Brush For Your Hair?
Are you using the right brush for your hair? We know we’ve all made the mistake of using whatever we have lying around. If you want a certain look, you have to understand the categories of brushes in order to use them properly.
1) Boars Bristle, Synthetic Fibers, Bristles: These are all fibrous, non-metal brushes that are best on textured or damaged hair. Because the bristles tug more at the cuticle, closing it down better than metal brushes, your result is shiny, smooth, lustrous hair.
2) Metal/Ceramic: These brushes are all made to conduct heat. They work best on naturally smooth hair and add volume and curl to hair. These will still add volume and curl when used on textured or damaged hair, but it will be left slightly frizzy; use a flat iron to combat this.
Round: Used to add volume, curl and buoyancy to hair. Think Victoria Secret runway.
Flat Brushes/Paddle Brushes: Used to smooth, dry, refine and straighten hair. Using them to brush hair in multiple directions will also add volume.
A good rule of thumb in selecting a brush is, the size will equal your curl. The smaller the brush, the tighter the curl and the bigger the brush, the straighter the hair. For fine hair a smaller brush is better, as the style will most likely fall to the desired look throughout the day. Bigger round brushes are great for styles where you desire volume but no curl.
Now, It’s time to get styling!
The Best Brows for Your Face Shape
Ever wonder what brows would really look best on you? If you want to look your best (conventionally speaking), do things to make your face appear more oval. That applies to your eyebrow shape as well. Below are some tips on choosing the best eyebrow shape for your face.
**If you’re not quite sure of your face shape, here’s a quick way to find out!
1. Take a ruler and measure the length of your face, then divide the total length by 3.
2. Measure the length from the bottom of your nose to the bottom of your chin.
3. If the last number (length from nose to chin) is larger than the first number (face length divided by 3) than you most likely have a long face shape. If the last number is smaller than the first number than chances are you have a round face. If the last number is extremely close or equal to the first number than you have an oval face shape.
Oval/Heart Face Shapes: For these shapes, the brows play no role in making the face appear more oval – it already is. The “perfect” brow is deemed the soft angled shape, which sits beautifully on both the Oval and Heart faces. (ie.. Grace Kelly, Jennifer Aniston)
Round Face Shapes: The goal is to create a high arched brow, creating more vertical lines. This draws the eye up and down, making the face appear longer. (Kate Winslet, Drew Barrymore )
Long Face Shapes: Create low, flat arches that widen and shorten the face. These horizontal lines stop the eye from moving up and down the face, offering balance. (Angelina Jolie, Sarah Jessica Parker)
Square Face Shapes: Should keep their brows thick and angled to balance a strong jaw. The bold geometric shape narrows the temples to help create a more oval appearance. (Mena Suvari, Marilyn Monroe)
Diamond Face Shapes: Soften the angles in your face shape with curved brows. This will make the widest portion of the face appear less wide. (Halle Berry & Christy Turlington)
Gloss and glitter are always a sure bet to brighten up a look, but as fall emerges the studious look of matte is back in. Moisturizing lipsticks are your best bet (we want matte but not chapped…any lipstick with moisture will keep those lips in lush condition). Start with corals and reds to segue from summer into fall. This will ease you into trying your hand with vintage wine colored lips – it’s the new it color to be seen on the latest walks down the runway.
Mango Picks for this season’s look: Aveda’s Cerise
The Half of It: The Half Up/Half Down Look
The often neglected style of half up/half down has made a statement this year on runways worldwide. The key to making this oft deemed “classic” style contemporary? Soft and flowly. Leave the sculpted, smooth look for late fall and winter when structure and defined lines most often come back into play. C’mon ladies, let loose!
Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Hippie: Part down the middle. Take a small strand of hair from each side of the front temple, twist and secure at the back of the head. Leave a few wisps of hair out around the face for an added free flowing effect.
- Mod: Curl the ends of the hair. Tease the crown and smooth the hair. Pull strips up from the side of the head and place in a French twist in the back. Leave the ends messy and free.
- Modern: Part the hair far to one side. French braid the hair coming from the side of the part all the way around to the opposite side of the head. Pin in place. Wear the ends however you please. You, and that braid, are going to be getting all the attention!
Look Who’s Famous! …Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray
Look what made the cut in Allure Magazine! The secret weapon of celebrity stylists is yours for the taking, and how perfectly it helps you manage in this heat. For hair that nonchalantly says, “I just walked off the beach, and of course I’m naturally this beautiful”, simply spray B&B Surf Spray on damp hair, and scrunch with your fingers. If you need it to dry fast, twist a few strands and then diffuse with a blow-dryer. If you have ample time, let it air dry and be done… gorgeous beach babe voilà!
Bronze vs. Burn – A Beauty Reminder For Your Skin
Don’t be fooled. Your skin is still baking and before you can “love the skin you’re in” you have to take care of the skin you’re in. Here are some easy ways to cover yourself:
- Dry Touch Sunblocks: Come in a range of SPFs and don’t leave your face feeling sticky and gross.
- Facial Sunblock: An additional block never hurt anyone and your face is where wrinkles show up first. Protect it with SPF after you apply your moisturizer but before your makeup.
- For the fair weather sunblock-er, use makeup with SPF in it. Many tinted moisturizers and foundations already have at least SPF 6. Aveda’s Make up is SPF 25.
- Exfoliate: The oft forgotten step to skin care, exfoliation removes dead skin cells & debris and helps skin replenish itself. Especially important when it comes to facial and neck skin, exfoliation allows SPF to soak into the skin it’s trying to protect. Products like Aveda’s Refinement Masque, make exfoliating fast and easy!
Four easy ways to protect your skin….after all, all the skincare products in the world can’t help skin that’s been destroyed. Prevention is key and this way, prevention is also easy.
The Dry Shampoo Band Wagon – It’s Worth Jumping On
Dry Shampoo…..is not just for old ladies & hospitals anymore. It’s used on runways & in average homes alike & here are all the reasons you should jump on the band wagon too.
- It adds volume & thickness to fine hair
- It’s anti-bacterial, so it cleans hair even when you don’t wash it
- It soaks up oil in the hair, so if you spray it on your roots when you’re styling day 2 hair, you’ll get rid of that grease & make your stylist happy by skipping a wash
- It comes in a variety of smells, to delight your nose
- Some dry shampoos come in a variety of colors (like blonde, light brown, dark brown) so it not only cleanses, it also masks roots.
- It saves you time in the morning
- It travels well & makes a great addition to beach hair
You should try it. Mango picks Bumble & Bumble’s Hair Powder.
School’s Out For Summer…At least for Melvyn
Melvyn Ainger’s Mango Fresh Talent ingénues completed the last of their six part continuing education class with him this week. The classes, designed to sharpen their cutting skills, were once a month for two days each & came to a close this Monday. Have we seen the last of Melvyn? Doubtful. We’re so happy to have him share his knowledge with us, we hope to have him here as often as possible. Thanks Melvyn!
Two Days With Joshua Henderson!
Joshua Henderson is coming back to visit! And during his stop on the East Coast he’ll have a two day sojourn back at Mango. Freelancing in Southern California, Josh has made quite a splash in his new endeavors. His books are open now for Monday, August 22nd at Short Pump from 9-6pm & Tuesday, August 23rd at Libbie & Grove from 9-9 pm. Spaces are limited, so book your Joshua visit now!